Explore our volunteer options
We have lots of opportunities. What would suit you best?
Work Shifts at the Farm
Every day care of the pups at the farm is critical for ensuring the wellbeing of the dogs.
Shifts are daily from 9-1pm and 5-8pm. It is a great way to meet new friends and join an ongoing team!
Here are the three main areas for shifts:
- Dog Care – Volunteers work in teams twice per day handling the daily care of our dogs. Responsibilities including feeding, cleaning, rotating dogs for outside time. Some lifting required.
- Meds – work during shift hours to administer medications to dogs in our care.
- Dishwashing/Poop scooping – Great tasks for people that want to join the team at the Farm but may not be comfortable with all of the shift responsibilities.
We bring in dogs from shelters throughout North Carolina. We need help transporting dogs and getting them uloaded and settled once they arrive at Saving Grace.
- Drivers: Drivers are needed M-F to take our vans or your personal vehicles to pick up dogs at our shelter partners and shuttle dogs for veterinary care. Transport needs vary by time and distance.
- Loading and Unloading: Volunteers assist with transportation by loading and unloading dogs into the vans for transport.
Many of the dogs that come to Saving Grace need medical attention. Here’s what you can do to help out at the Farm!
- Intake: Work with a team of people who welcome dogs to Saving Grace and provide initial evaluation and treatment.
- Medical volunteers: Work with the medical team in preparing medications for dogs, administering preventatives and evaluating and treating other needs.
- DAILY MEDICAL ASSISTANTS: This will be a set schedule (can be flexible) M-F Hours from 1-5.It will involve helping the medical lead with routine walk throughs, filling meds as decided by the medical lead. Record meds on medical sheet
- PANACUR TEAM: All dogs are routinely dewormed and the panacur team works three days (T W Th ) on the morning shift every week. Each week there is a list of dogs to get panacur. Tasks include prepping the panacur meds, administering them to the dogs and updating the medical sheets.
- PREVENTATIVES TEAM: Each week the preventative team gives all dogs that are due that week their monthly flea/tic and Heartworm preventatives and record them on the dogs med sheet. This job is best done with a partner which makes it easier.
- PAPERWORK TEAM: There are routine meds to be recorded on med sheets, files to be made and put away. Computer work as needed into SG tracking systems.
- Wellness checks – assist the SG team during vet visits to prepare the dogs, take notes on the vet evaluations and communicate next steps for the health of the dog.
- Heartworm treatments – work with the SG team to track, coordinate and administer heartworm treatments for the HW positive dogs in our care.
Website and Social Media
In addition to a website, SG maintains a robust social media presence including a Facebook page, YouTube channel. Volunteers keep it all up to date with current stories and engaging our community for support.
Work in the Spay/Neuter Clinic
Many of the dogs that come to Saving Grace need medical attention. Here’s what you can do to help out in the Clinic!
- Walk/Load/Exchange: bring dogs to and from the houses or parking lot into the onsite clinic for treatment.
- Clinic Assistant: daily cleaning of kennels and surgery room following proper disease control protocol to ensure a sterile environment. Stock all kennel/cleaning supplies as needed.
- Clean surgical laundry: Clean and sonicate surgical instruments and prepare surgical packs. Clean, fold and stock kennel laundry throughout the clinic.
Each weekday, wehave as many as XXXX adoption appointments. Help our Adoption Counselors make awesome matches!
- Greeters – assist with welcoming new adoptors and matching adopters with counselors; some computer input needs required.
- Counselors – work with adopters to help them find the right dog for them. Adoption appointments are held M-F, in the afternoons and evenings.
Administrative tasks are vital to our work, and can usually be done from home:
- Paperwork and Data Entry
- Bios- write brief bios of new dogs that will be posted for potential adopters on our website.
Assist our photographers to get dogs to pose for their profile pictures on our website. Hands on dog handling required.
We’d love your help!
You are here
STEP 1: Decide what you’d like to help us with
There is always plenty to do at Saving Grace – do you like physical work and getting a bit dirty on a regular basis? Or would you prefer something a little less strenuous less frequently? We have it all!
STEP 2: Fill Out Our Volunteer Form
If one of our roles looks interesting, fill out our volunteer form.
STEP 3: Attend a Volunteer Orientation
Once you’ve filled out you application, sign up for our volunteer orientation to get more information.
STEP 4: Attend a Mentoring Session
For those doing shift-work at the farm, this is an important part of your orientation.
STEP 6: Keep coming back!
Thank you for your time and commitment! We appreciate your support.
STEP 5: Sign up for Shifts/Tasks
Once you’ve done orientation and a mentioring session, you’ll be entered into our system where you can sign up for shifts/tasks.