November Tips & Tricks: How to Introduce Your Dogs to your Fosters
- Let them get to know each other slowly and carefully.
- Have them meet on neutral territory. A short walk is a great way for them to meet. Keep them about 10’ apart at first and then gradually let them get closer.
- Let them sniff and get to know each other. This can either be done in the backyard or on the walk.
- Monitor their interactions outside before introducing the new foster inside the home.
- Keep the dogs separate when you are not around them.
- If signs of tension arise during any of these steps, separate the dogs immediately and try again later.
- Remember the introduction will set the tone for their relationship.
*Never feel like you MUST introduce your fosters to your own dogs. It’s perfectly okay for them to be separate*