How to Adopt
- Review our site and our Frequently Asked Questions to ensure that you understand what we are about, and how adopting a new pet will impact your life.
- Fill out the adoption form below. Please take your time and fill out the request as completely as you can.
- We will review your application as quickly as we can, but please allow at least a week for this process.
- After we review your application, we will work out a time for you to come visit our animals.
- Come to one of our events so you can see for yourself what Saving Grace is all about. (see calendar)
- We look forward to hearing from you!
PS. If you don’t hear back from one of our volunteers within 5 business days – please reach out to us again!!
- Avoid Common Problems And Create A Successful Transition for Your New Dog
- Prevent Bad Behavior And Ensure Good Behavior
With this in mind, you should assume that your new dog:
- Is not housetrained and needs to be taught this in your home, by you.
- Needs your help to feel at ease when confined, both when you are at home and when you are away.
- If not properly exercised, confined, supervised and given outlets for normal dog behavior, will chew on your things, counter surf, get into the trash, bark out the window, or be a nuisance in the yard. It is your job to prevent these annoying behaviors so that your dog will rehearse only behaviors that you like.
Daily essentials for a well-behaved dog:
- Provide daily aerobic exercise (use an EZ Walk harness to prevent pulling on leash).
- Teach “sit” and use it before feeding, putting the leash on, and leaving the house and car.
- Feed on schedule and take uneaten food away after 15 minutes.
- Use the crate or a dog-proofed, baby-gated room every time you need to take your eyes off your dog.
- Always use the enclosed crate training tips so that your dog will be mellow and quiet when confined.
- Be generous in providing edible chew toys to keep your dog’s mouth and brain busy. Hollow toys like Kong or the Busy Buddy line of toys are great way to keep your dog occupied and happy, but will hold his interest only if they are filled with his meal or special goodies.
Your adoption packet will contain the details on how to create a smooth transition so you and your dog will enjoy each other right from the beginning. Thank you for your interest in adopting your dog from Saving Grace!
Brought to you by © 2008 Top Notch Dog, LLC www.topnotchdog.com